My ESC in Milan 2019/20

After finishing school I decided to do a year of volunteering to use my time to do something practical, socially useful and helpful , now that I had the possibility to do whatever I want.

Additionally, the European version of a social year of volunteering offers the possibility to explore a new culture and language in a deeper way than any other form of visiting another country could. My ESC-Project is attending and participating in a daily center for disabled People, il CDD Mantegazza.

To adjust to a well-attuned structure was a challenge for me in the beginning, but contact and connection with the guests is the best part of the project, because they are mostly open-hearted and friendly. Because of that it´s often fulfilling, but there are also moments where I doubted myself and my abilities. Sometimes it´s difficult to know what you can do, if there is no guest to talk to or who needs a little help with something. After some time though you get used to being free in doing what you think is helpful and even relax a bit in italian style.
 Additionally, it´s hard to be a part of group conversations, because of the language and culture barrier. The staff is really nice though and they make you feel welcomed, even when you understand only half of what they are talking about.

The CDD Mantegazza is a rather small center, with a familiar atmosphere. Our activities variate from day to day, I especially enjoy painting and "music", where we listen to songs of different topics.

This is a wall in the CDD, that the art chef designed and painted, including a special item for every guest.

 This is the room  where many group activities  take place, such as musica or geography.

This are our weekly activities, that the chef of art and I designed in the beginning, which they redo every year, so maybe next year it will be your turn.


Some paintings we did in pittura together.

Commenti

Post più popolari